Sunday, February 06, 2011

All Caught Up


Yesterday I wanted to dig up an old lens that I hadn't had much luck with in the past and give it another shot. My not-so-trusty 85mm 1.8 had been tucked away unused since I started this hobby two years ago. To further the matter, I had been getting stuck in a rut with my photography. I was learning some things in Photoshop, but my pictures weren't improving the way I wanted them to. I was content and complacent with my 25-105mm lens. I became lazy with the eaze of a zoom lens and this baby takes the sharpest clearest pictures, so I was satisfied. The only downside was that the widest aperture is 4.0, which doesn't allow for those amazingly creamy soft backgrounds. Although, I had discovered that when I used the 105 end of the lens and kept my subjects away from the background, I could get some lovely blur. Macros are stunning too.

The 85mm was my first prime (non-kit)lens and the vast majority of my pictures were blurry. I even ran some comparison tests and the test shots came out blurry too. But now, I was longing for that bokeh (amazing blurry effect) and I thought I'd give my prime lens another go around.

It was rough at first. I had a fabulous picture that I just won't post because I don't like the crop. I just couldn't get far enough away from my subjects to fit it all in.

This was also an opportunity to scout out my local town for good photographic venues. There are more great places around here than I even considered. Who knew the local museum had such great spots. Too bad it's only open 3 hours/week. I might even go searching some more today.........maybe even during the Superbowl, when I will have the whole road to myself.

Well, that's too much rambling. Here's what I shot with my newly appreciated 85mm lens.







9 comments:

We5Chois said...

Absolutely stunning photos of your beautiful girls. Keep it up, you have such talent and the new 'old' lens is awesome.

Gail said...

Lori, these are fabulous!!! Love them all, but especially the one's of them jumping and behind the tree.
What a great feeling to get 'requainted' with your 85 mm!
:)

Carolin said...

GREAT SHOTS!!!!!

Catherine said...

Beautiful, Lori!

Everything Beautiful Shay said...

I would say you pretty much rocked the 85!!! I love the catch lights, bokeh, and bright colors!!! Beautiful images of two beautiful girls!!! I got a new camera for Christmas with a kit lens and a 50mm. Scott just gave me a 60mm for my bd and I LOVE it!!! So great to be shooting with a prime! love this post!!!
Joy to you!

Teresa said...

Lori..every single one is just beautiful! I am such a bokeh junkie myself, I have been longing for the nikon version of this. I rented the 85f/1.4 and of course it was amazing, but lately I've been thinking price-wise the 1.8 would be a better decision. Awesome bokeh and colors and the girls couldn't be any cuter!

Kayce said...

Beautiful shots!! The colors are fabulous!

Leah Maya Benjamin said...

Those shots came out gorgeous! I ahve always used my 50mm 1.8f and I know the 85mm is suppose to be great, but its so hard to be so far away. I'm thinking of a 30mm 1.4, its off brand but I need to be able to get closer. My 50mm isn't working right now anyway, so its got to go in to see what's going on, hope its not the camera that would be alot more expensive.

tiffany said...

Wow those are beautiful shots of your beautiful girls and I love their bright colorful outfits too. I have been meaning to take some time to do some kiddo photoshoots again and haven't gotten to it yet and this lovely post makes me want to move it to the top of my to-do list.