Sunday, April 12, 2009

Casa de Fruta--A Hundred Year Old Fruit Stand

Whenever we get the opportunity to drive by Casa de Fruta, we do. This time it was on our way home. In the past, my husband has done some engineering for the owners of this historical fruit stand. It has now grown to be a destination. They have huge markets with fruits, veggies, nuts, sauces and local specialties. There is a sweet shop and a wine shop and a restaurant. For the kids, there is a train ride, a petting zoo and a new carousel. On the day we stopped by, there was even a craft fair.
carousel1blog
carousel2blog
casafruta3blog
casafruta2blog
casafrutablog1
I just loved the artwork on this double-decker carousel. I wonder why I never noticed it before. Even though it was the day before Easter, the turnout was light and we almost had the carousel to ourselves.

After the girls had a chance to ride the attractions, we took them over to the watermill to sift for treasures. The girls were thrilled to find that their bags of sand contained special stones.
treasure2blog
treasure1blog
Two and a half years ago, just after bringing Pearl home from China, we stopped by Casa de Fruta to get pumpkins for Halloween. It was another fun time and I shot this first picture below in a miniature railroad car that the children are allowed to play in. Yesterday, I saw that the car had been moved over by the carousel and I decided to take another picture of the girls in it, just like I did in 2006. I was amazed to see the comparison of the girls below. In my mind, they are somewhere in between. In the first picture, they look so little and young and in the second picture, they look so much older and almost grown up. Both pictures seem out of touch with my present reality.
casafrutaOLDb
casafruta4blog

2 comments:

Sharyn said...

Oh, my. What a great opportunity to get this picture twice! You are so right, too. My....they look so little in the first picture. And so grown up now. How does this happen? I just can't figure it out.

Unknown said...

I remember that picture! What I didn't remember is just how little they were. Sniff...

They have grown from cute little babies to beautiful young girls.